SMILE Laser treatment is one of the ideal options to correct a refractive error such as myopia or astigmatism. Here’s what you need to know about SMILE Laser.
What is SMILE Laser?
SMILE laser is one of the newest laser eye surgeries. It is a minimally invasive procedure that can treat vision disorders such as myopia and astigmatism. SMILE laser is a suitable treatment for professional athletes who are exposed to pressure or impact.
With the SMILE Laser method, it is possible to treat astigmatism up to -5 myopia and up to 10. The operation is all quiet and odorless. The patient can remain in the same position from the beginning to the end of the operation. Large incisions are required in Lasik treatment. In the SMILE treatment, these incisions become very small. The reason for this is that there is no risk of corneal flap displacement in the SMILE treatment method.
In the SMILE treatment, “Femtosecond laser” is used to reshape the cornea. Femtosecond Laser is a near infrared and extremely short pulse laser. It is also used to create LASIK flap.
It takes approximately 22 – 23 seconds for the laser to form a lenticular piece of corneal tissue in the cornea. The surgeon then removes the lenticule through the small incision in the outer layer of the fall. In the operation, the cornea is reshaped and the refractive error is treated.
• Those whose eye prescriptions has not changed in the last year
• Those who have a good health condition of the cornea and eye
• Over the age of 18
• Those whose degree of astigmatism is not greater than -5.00 and
• Those with a degree of myopia between -1.00 and -10.00 degrees
• Under the age of 18
• Those with corneal degeneration
• Breastfeeding women
• Those who are pregnant
• Those who have a condition that will affect healing
• Excessive scar formation
• People with cataract disease
• Those with severe glaucoma
• Patients with changing eye prescriptions
• Those with cornea diseases
• Those who have had an eye infection before
• Hypermetropia patients
• Excessive keloid formation
You should stop wearing contact lenses at least 4 weeks before surgery. You should stop wearing soft lenses 2 weeks before. These can interfere with diagnostic tests before surgery.
You should not wear make up before the operation. You should not use lotions or perfumes. These products can leave residue around the eyelashes and eyes. This increases the risk of infection.
SMILE Laser Surgery
First of all, the eye and its area will be numbed in the surgery. The eye must be immobile during the procedure. Some devices can be used for this. Once the eye is fixed, the laser creates a lenticule in the stroma. An incision less than 4 mm in width is created on the corneal surface. The doctor will remove the lenticule from this incision. Removing the lenticule corrects the refractive error. The incision made during the operation is very small. The incision heals itself after a while.
Advantages of SMILE Laser Surgery
The patient will not feel pain during the operation. You may feel a slight pressure in the eye during the operation. The operation is performed on the 2 eyes in the same session, one after the other. The surgery is completed in a very short time. The operation time is 10 – 15 minutes for both eyes. The stages of the surgery are as follows:
Features of SMILE Laser Method
The discomfort felt during the recovery process after SMILE treatment is minimal. A few days after treatment, patients can return to their daily lives routine. To wear make up, exercise and drive.
• You should definitely not rub the eye after the operation.
• After the surgery, you should stay away from activities that will exert yourself.
• To avoid accidental eye scratching, your doctor may recommend special products that you should wear while sleeping.
Side Effects of the SMILE Laser
Book a free consultation
Send us your photos
for an evaluation
Receive your free treatment
procedure and a quote