Hair transplant is a surgical operation. Therefore, there are some situations that may occur after the hair transplant. Itching, pimples, bleeding, swelling and crust after hair transplant are some of these conditions. Hair transplant crusting is not something to worry about as it is very common for anyone who got the hair transplant. Keep reading to find out what causes incrustation after the hair transplant. During the hair transplant, your doctor will open thousands of channels to transplant the hair in the bald area. These channels cause bleeding, which is very normal. Once these bleeds dry, crusts are formed on the scalp.
Hair transplant crusting may take a few weeks to heal. However, the healing process and period may vary from person to person. Some people take longer to heal while some may heal very quickly. Crusting, redness and itching are a very common part of the recovery process. Make sure you do not touch the crusts to itch the scalp at all.
Causes of hair transplant crusting
During the procedure, the scalp is worn out due to the grooves opened to the area. It is natural that the bleeding occurs not only in the transplanted area but also in the donor area. The blood then dries on the scalp, which causes crusting. Crusts that form after hair transplant are initially dark red and then they turn yellowish. If you do not touch these shells, they will fall out of the skin on their own. However, if you touch them, they may get damaged and leave a scar behind.
How does the crusting heal?
Hair transplant crusting greatly diminishes after the first wash at the clinic. It will completely go away in about ten days after the transplant with the right care and attention. The healing process after hair transplant and the rate of reduction of the shells vary from person to person. Everyone’s metabolism, immune system and cell renewal rate are different. Nevertheless, it is in the hands of the patient to accelerate the crusting period after hair transplant. Those who want to get rid of hair transplant crusting faster should follow the post operation instructions given to them by their doctor.
- Washing hair after the transplant: It is important to follow the instructions given by the doctor after the procedure. Washing the hair at the intervals specified by the doctor will both relax the scalp and reduce hair transplant crusting.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and cigarettes before and after the operation as they act as blood thinners.
- Do not scratch the scalp: Shells can cause itching on the hair bottoms. These itches disturb people. Patients may want to scratch the planting areas. When the shells, after the transplant are touched or plucked, the hair follicles break with these shells. If the hair follicles, which have not yet been fully retained, break out, new hair will not be replaced. Therefore, after the transplant, the shells should not be touched and the shells should be poured on their own.
Washing Hair after the Transplant
A week after your transplant, you will witness redness and hair transplant crusting. The medical team will carry out the first wash three days after your hair transplant to remove the hair transplant crusting gently. This process of washing requires attention to detail since any impact on the transplanted area can cause damage and rupture the hair follicles. This is why the doctor will carry out the first wash very gently at the clinic. The washes following the first wash can be carried out by the patient gently with a mild shampoo.
- Washing should not be very hard as it can damage the hair follicles.
- Do not use very hot or cold water to wash the scalp. Wash your scalp with warm water.
- Do not be harsh when drying the scalp. The towel should be soft.
Precautions to consider after the hair transplant
- While washing the hair, hard movements should not be done to shed the shells completely. Hard and fast movements to shed the shells cause bleeding and damage hair follicles.
- Wash your hair continuously to completely clean the shells. Wash your hair every day gently until the shells run out.
- Use the lotion correctly and carefully to soften the shells. Be careful not to go outside in the sun after using the lotion on your scalp.
- If you are going to use products that will cover your head like hats after the transplant, make sure that these products are not hard and tight.
- After the transplant, consuming vitamins and minerals is also very useful. Taking vitamin supplements and eating regularly makes the hair grow healthier and faster.
At Esthetic Hair Turkey, we continue to strive to become the top hair transplant clinic in Istanbul, Turkey and also in the world. In order to retain the position of being the best hair transplant clinic in Istanbul, we prioritize our patient’s values and work hard to guarantee satisfaction. Our patient’s comfort is what we aim to ensure in every treatment. Hence, our doctors will be with you in every step of the procedure, before, during and after the transplant. So whether it is hair transplant crusting or the after care, you have nothing to worry about as you are in safe hands with us.
You might also be interested in: