Otoplastie (Remodelarea Urechilor)
Ear surgery, also known as otoplasty, can improve the shape, position or proportion of the ear.
Otoplasty can correct a birth defect in the ear structure or it can treat misshapen ears caused by injuries. Ear surgery creates a more natural shape, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem.
Ear Surgery Candidates
Children who are good candidates for ear surgery in Turkey are:
– Healthy, without a life-threatening illness or untreated chronic ear infections
– Generally 5 years old, or when a child’s ear cartilage is stable enough for correction
– Cooperative and follow instructions well
– Able to communicate their feelings and do not voice objections when surgery is discussed
Teenagers and adults who are good candidates for ear surgery in Turkey are:
– Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
– Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for ear surgery
How is Otoplasty Surgery Performed?
The most basic thing done in otoplasty surgery is to change the shape of the ear. Otoplasty surgeries are usually done to correct two main problems.
The first problem is that the angle of the ear with the head is more than it should be. This shows the ear further out. This situation becomes more evident especially when viewed from behind. In the operations performed for this problem, strong stitches will be placed where the ear meets the head, and the angle between the ear and the head is going to be narrowed.
The second problem is that the folds that should be formed from the top of the ear are not formed. The ear appears straight from the outside. In the operations performed to correct this problem, strong stitches are going to be applied from the back of the ear to the cartilage under the skin. The aim is to convert the straight ear image into a naturally curved ear image.
You can make a rehearsal in front of the mirror to understand how you will look after the operation. If you have the first problem, press your ear from the middle of the ear with your fingertip in front of the mirror. If you have the second problem, you can create natural folds by pressing the outer and upper edges of the ear. The image you acquire here will give you an idea of the image you will get after surgery.
General Information About Otoplasty Surgery
- A cut is made right behind the ear during surgery. Since the incision is thrown behind the ear, no scar is visible after the procedure.
- The surgery is performed under local anesthesia. But if desired, general anesthesia can also be performed.
- There will be no stitch to be removed after surgery.
- The operation time is 1 – 1.5 hours on average.
- There is no need to stay in the hospital after surgery. You can be discharged the same day.
How old can this surgery be done at the earliest?
Otoplasty surgery is the operation that can be performed at the youngest age. It can be done even for children of primary school age. The most important reason for this is the fact that children are prominent and affect their psychology negatively.
The main reason for otoplasty surgery is that the patient wants to have surgery done. If the operation is going to be for a child under the age of 18, his opinion must first be obtained. It is inconvenient to carry out this operation under the influence of his/her mother or father. Parents should definitely talk to their children before deciding on this surgery and should not force it if the child is not ready for surgery.
Recovery After Otoplasty Surgery / Ear Surgery Recovery
Discomfort immediately following ear surgery is normal and can be controlled with pain medication. There may be an itchy feeling under bandages. It is essential that bandages remain attached and not removed for any reason. Failure to do so may result in loss of some of the correction and may require a second surgery.
Recovery time after surgery is short. It can be said that improvement takes place in about 1 week.
- It is not necessary to stay in the hospital after surgery. You can be discharged in the same day.
- After about 2 – days, bathing can be done.
- Slight pain may occur for a few days after the operation. For this pain, painkillers will be given by the doctor.
- The ear may swell 3 – 7 days after the operation. This is a temporary situation.
- An average of 2 to 7 days the patient can return to work.
- It is not recommended to do heavy sports immediately after the operation.
- If we do not count the swelling, the ears will take their final shape after the operation. But it takes 4 – 6 weeks for the ears to get their final shape.
Risks and Side Effects of Otoplasty Surgery
As with any surgery, there are some risks and side effects in otoplasty surgeries. Some of these side effects;
- Bleeding. The risk of bleeding exists in every surgery. But there is no serious veins in the ear. For this reason, in otoplasty operations, bleeding can usually occur in the form of blood accumulation called hematoma.
- Infection is one of the complications that can occur. The cartilage of the ear is hardly inflamed. But when it becomes inflamed it progresses fast and can turn into a problem that can distroy the ears shape.
- Another problem that may arise after surgery is that the ears get too close to the head.
These possibilities are rare side effects that may occur in autoplasty. Let us remind you that Otoplasty surgery generally gives very good results and most of the patients who have had the surgery left the hospital satisfied.
Esthetic Hair Turkey carries out otoplasty surgeries with great success. If you want to have otoplasty surgery and get detailed information about otoplasty prices, contact us immediately.